There is hardly anything we won't do for our furry friends, and we are their whole world. As such, we need the best dog crate we can find to provide them a safe, comfortable place to relax and unwind. Our team of dog-loving experts is excited to share with you 10 of the best dog crates available on the market this year. Let's take a look at them.
FAQ | Best Dog Crates
1. What Are the Benefits of the Best Dog Crates?
There are many benefits to dog crates. First, they provide a safe, secure and private place where your dog can calm down when you're not around or where they can retreat to when things are too much. Just like us, dogs need to withdraw sometimes!
Crates designed for transportation are also the perfect place to aid in their healing if you need to take your pet to a veterinarian for treatment if they've become sick or injured. During travel, your dog will have a place they can rest snugly without any further stress or strain on them associated with being on-the-go.
Crates provide a familiar, anti-anxiety spot for dogs all their own where they can rest while traveling, or feel secure when you're not able to be there with them.
2. What Should I Consider When Looking to Purchase a Dog Crate?
If you're thinking about buying a crate, then one of the first things you should look at is what the crate's materials are. Crates come in plastic, wire, or a combination of both.
Plastic crates are constructed mostly of a poly-blend synthetic material, and have chrome-plated steel bar doors. They often have ventilated side panels and leak-proof bottoms that you can often take out and clean with ease. Travel crates provide great strength and durability because of their heavy-duty construction, great visibility and excellent ventilation qualities. Generally smaller in size than other crates, travel crates also are commonly used for training puppies.
Wire crates are superior as far as security, ventilation and portability, but they do not offer as much privacy. These can often fold down to reduce storage space and they are easy to clean.
Your second consideration, behind the materials used to make the crate, is the size you'll need for your pup. There are many dog crate sizing charts available online that will help you when you're uncertain about which size your breed will need. With that said, you'll always want to ensure that there's enough room for your dog to be comfortable, but not too much room that they retreat into a corner. The ideal size for your dog should allow him to stand up without ducking his head and stretch to his full length with no cramping or compromising.
3. Overall Price Range?
As with most consumer products, the price range will depend on your individual pet needs and your budget. Dog crates can cost up to a few hundred dollars, depending on the size, structure and many other factors.
For the products that made our top 10 list here, we tried to only choose items we feel offer the best value for the money and are excellent choices for our budget-conscious readers.
How We Reviewed
Our team spent much time and effort to bring you this unbiased "best of" list. After narrowing down our product selections to the 10 we felt offered you the best bang for your buck, we then further reviewed them based on their individual features, their benefits, any perceived drawbacks, their prices, their warranties and more. Finally, at the end of this article, we'll give you our final verdict on the crate that was ultimately our favorite.
It's our hope that you'll rely on this list of top recommendations to help you decide on the right crate for you and your four-legged best friend.
What We Reviewed
- Chew-resistant solid wood construction for pet-safe durability and longevity | Made in Thailand
- Product dimensions | Overall – 27.5” L x 20” W x 24” H | Internal – 24.25” L x 16.5” W x 21” H |...
- End table design gives this pet crate a native feel that blends with light and easy assembly
This product made it on our list of best dog crates because of its stylish design. It features a beautiful, wooden frame you'll want to show off — or masquerade as an end table — in the center of your living room.
It does not unfold into a gate like some other models on this list, but it's made of Hevea wood designed to provide a private, comfy place for your dog to rest near the family. The wood is of premium quality and it's completely chew-resistant. The slats on the side are able to be opened for stellar ventilation and the gate is fully lockable for added safety.
- The perfect crate for Boxers, Standard Poodles, Golden Retrievers, Labradors, and similar breeds
- Features a dual latching door to safely secure pets
- Folds for effortless storage or travel
Another one of the best dog crates is this wired cage construction from Guardian Gear. It's available in six sizes, so you can enjoy the benefits of this crate no matter how big your dog will grow.
The design features two latching doors and a removable tray at the bottom that makes clean up a breeze. It also comes with a removable divider so you can use this crate for crate training your puppy. And, when it's not needed, this crate folds down flat easily so you can stow it away in minimal space.
This ASPCA product is also on our best dog crates list because it boasts stellar durability as well as comfort for your dog. It ensures they stay safe and relaxed during transport. Its lightweight build and well-ventilated design make it ideal for portability.
This soft crate comes with built-in top and front doors to improve security and ease of use. The fabrics used in its construction are heavy-duty and will hold up to wear and tear. This model easily folds flat for added portability and storage. Plus, it's available in three different sizes to match up with the size of your pooch.
Undoubtedly, this crate will catch your eye with its unique looks. Its usefulness doesn't stop there, though. For excellent versatility, this crate can be transformed into gates for confining your puppy to a certain area of your home. Rather than wanting to fold this crate up and stow it away while it's not in use, you'll find yourself wanting to use it as a centerpiece in your living room! It's made from high-quality MDF with a solid wood veneer, and the cage itself is made from durable metal that will withstand a puppy's teeth and claws.
- DIMENSIONS: 42" L x 27" W x 30" H + split divider + multiple doors + versatile carry handle.
- FOLDABLE: Features a convenient space saving design, allowing it to be stored practically anywhere when not in use.
- DURABLE: Made from heavy duty solid steel, high tensile strength wire, and a black electro coat finish.
This is one of our top picks as a best dog crate simply because of its heavy-duty design and the fact that it comes with a divider that's perfect for crate training puppies. This model is foldable, which eases storing it away during travels — even if there's limited trunk space.
The frame of this crate is built with steel, making this option a substantial crate that has stellar durability and strength. The steel used in its construction make is fade-resistant and corrosion-resistant, so you can use it for years to come. Also, the crate is also made of high-tensile metal wire adding to its overall durability.
- Lightweight, portable and great for transportation and short outings
- Tightly weaved mesh fabric panels surrounded by extra-strong steel frame
- For crate trained dogs up to 15 pounds and supervised, comes with strap
This Petnation Port-A-Crate is one of the best dog crates for traveling. It provides your dog with outstanding comfort and ventilation. It has mesh fabric panels and a heavy-duty metal frame with two door openings and built-in privacy flaps.
The door latches make this a safe, easy-to-use, secure crate, and it is available in no fewer than five different sizes to suit your dog's needs for size. It seems geared toward crate training, but the crate's comfortable interior makes it an excellent place for your pup to chill out at any time.
- Size: 30" long x 21" wide x 24" high; 2" wider and 4" higher than most other brand 30" soft crates, so the EliteField...
- The crate frame is made of strong steel tube; the crate cover is made of high quality durable 600D fabric and hex mesh...
- Three mesh doors (on the top, front, and side) for convenience and for sunlight and breathability; two accessory pockets...
EliteField engineered great comfort and ventilation into this best dog crate. Its comfortable interior features a fleece bed, a washable cover and mesh panels. This crate truly uses comfort and luxury to make your dog feel as comfortable as possible during travel. Its fabric material can withstand scratches and teeth with no problem. Also, it offers space for accessories with two built-in pockets, and it includes a carrying bag for added convenience.
- PET CRATE FOR SMALL DOGS: This small dog kennel has a top entry door so you can access your cat or dog. Suitable for...
- AIR TRAVEL APPROVED: This pet carrier meets most airline cargo specifications. The air travel kennel for dogs & cats...
- KENNELS & HOUSES: Crate & kennel training is vital for dog safety & comfort. We provide traditional travel carriers,...
If you have a small dog and want to keep him/her safe during transport, then this is the best dog crate for you. It's designed for puppies, but small adult dogs will find it just as accommodating.
It's made of durable, heavy-duty plastic and steel, and it features an ergonomically shaped carrying handle for increased ease of handling by you. It even has both top and front openings for easier accessibility. Petmate makes it in three different colors and two sizes to suit your pet's needs.
- ICrate the 'All Inclusive Dog Crate' Includes Free divider panel, durable dog tray, carrying handle, 4 'roller' feet to...
- Large double door folding dog crate ideal for dogs w/ adult weight of 71 to 90 pounds, convenient divider panel allows...
- Your dog's home while you're away from home: Durable design creates a safe place for your pet while you're away & caters...
No matter your dog's size, you will find this is one of the best dog crates you can get because it comes in many sizes in both single-door and double-door configurations. It also includes a divider panel, a bottom tray that's removable and easy to clean, an ergonomically shaped carrying handle, and roller feet to prevent scratches on floors.
This MidWest crate is easy to assemble, easy to transport and easy to stow (as it folds conveniently flat.) Its durable, heavy-duty design makes it a safe place for your pup to relax and rest. It comes with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.
- The IRIS Small Wire Dog Crate with Mesh Roof is a perfect crate for small sized pets and provides 6.2 square feet of...
- Door measurements 14.56”W x 16.5”H and the distance between wire bars is 1.5''
- Item Dimensions: 24.80"L x 36.22"W x 23.62"H
Yet another one of the best dog crates to make our list is this stylish model available in three different sizes. The wire and mesh roof of this crate gives it a cozy finish that will feel comfortable and provide excellent ventilation. The wired sides of this crate are coated with heavy duty epoxy and it comes with a sliding access door complete with a lock-latching system for added safety.
We hope our list of the 10 best dog crates has given you a few options for you and your favorite, four-legged friend. You can't go wrong with any product on this list, as only you know what's best for your pet and your individual needs. If you're on the fence, however, then our top choice for the absolute best dog crate on this list is the Merry Pet 2-in-1 model for dogs big and small. It costs bit costly, but the value you get in return makes it invaluable. Check it out on Amazon today!
Last update on 2021-07-27 at 14:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API