This article is going to offer a step-by-step guide to installing a wireless dog fence on your property. Setting up a wireless dog fence is extremely easy, part of the reason so many people prefer these systems over the underground wired ones. Keep in mind that the instructions may vary slightly, depending on the model, but the basic concept is the same for all these wireless systems.
In this guide, we will cover how to place the transmitter, activation of the wireless collar, setting the containment area, and adjusting the correction level. Finally, the article will discuss dog training for getting accustomed your furry friends to the new fence system.
Select the Location to Place the Transmitter
The location of the transmitter is the key to the overall success of the wireless dog fence. Therefore, make sure that the area you have in mind is right. The signal transmitter is the main unit of the wireless fence, which means that it is going to be the center of the pet containment area.
The pet zone is a circular containment area. There are several things you’ll need to keep in mind if you want to select the perfect location for the transmitter.
- The transmitter must be placed on the ground floor of your house. This way, the signal remains at ground level;
- The unit should sit between 3 and 5 feet off the ground;
- Keep large metal objects or appliances a minimum of 3 feet away from the transmitter. Otherwise, they might interfere with the signal;
- Mount the transmitter near a power outlet;
- The ideal location for the transmitter is an outer wall;
- Minimize the number of concrete walls between the transmitter and the pet zone of your choice.
Make sure that you read the manual on how to install a wireless dog fence transmitter. This way, you’ll not skip any additional steps to maximize the strength of the signal.
How to Activate the Receiver Collar
- ADD UNLIMITED PETS TO YOUR SYSTEM: Keep as many pets as you need safely in your yard with this add-a-dog receiver...
- 4 LEVELS OF CORRECTION: Teach your pets to stay in the secure play area with a sound only training mode plus 4 levels of...
- WATERPROOF RECEIVER COLLAR: with low battery indicator
The next step to installing the wireless dog fence is activating the signal receiver collar for your pet. First, insert the battery into the collar. Make sure you read the instructions as to the lifespan of the specific batteries in your unit. Now would be the best time to purchase spare batteries so you can quickly swap them when they run out of juice. Once the batteries are in the receiver, register or turn the collar on, depending on the system you have purchased.
With the collar on, walk toward the signal transmitter and press the activation button on the collar. Wait a few seconds and the collar should be activated or registered.
Select the Optimal Radius of Containment Area
- Support most sizes of dogs (weight:10-110lbs,neck:7.8-27 in). Invisible dog fence system Keeps Your Pets in Safe Zone,...
- WATER RESISTANT COLLAR RECEIVER-Water resistance up to IP65 and rechargeable,designed with automatic sleep function.Let...
- EASY SET UP WIRELESS PET FENCE SYSTEM-Simply plug in transmitter ,pair the transmitter and receiver ,then it works. No...
Depending on which model of wireless pet fence you have purchased, the next step is setting the containment radius. The average radius ranges from 90 to 250 feet. While some transmitter versions operate with knobs, others require users to press buttons for the setup.
Once you understand the control settings, you’ll need two people to set the radius properly. One of you will hold the receiver collar near the boundary of the pet zone while the other will have to stay close to the transmitter.
The person in the yard should keep the collar at the height of the pet’s neck, standing where the circular boundary is desired. The person near the signal transmitter will adjust the radius. How do users know the pet area is set correctly? The person with the collar will hear a beep coming from the device which means they are standing at the edge of the permitted area.
(HINT: Use cellphones to communicate with one another across a large property.)
Set Correction Levels
Depending on the model, you’ll need to set the correction levels. Regardless of the type of unit purchased, this process falls into one of the following two different approaches.
- Press the MODE button on the collar, wait for flash and beeps;
- 1 beep means level one, 4 beeps means level four, etc.
- To increase the level of correction, for example going from level one to level three, press the MODE button two times after the unit beeps.
- Some models allow you to set the correction level from the main signal transmitter without having to set anything on the collar first.
- Never set the correction level randomly. Refer to the owner’s manual for the ideal level.
Set the Training Flags
- 50 Training Flags - Which Will Cover Up to 500 Linear Feet of Boundary Wire. Set One Flag Every 10 Feet
- Compatible with ALL Brands of Electric Dog Fence (Including Wireless Fences) Such as: Invisible Fence, PetSafe, eXtreme...
- Same Flags that Are Used by the Professional Inground Dog Fence Installation Companies
The most tedious part of installing a wireless dog fence is planting the training flags. Follow these simple steps to create the right perimeter for the signal boundary. The person with the collar will plant a flag in the ground and keep walking in a large circle to create the boundary.
- With the receiver (pet collar) in hand, approach the perimeter of the pet zone;
- When the collar beeps, stop and plant a flag in that location;
- Move seven feet to the right, repeat steps one and two;
- Continue moving around the property and plant a flag every seven to ten feet, until you have created a perfect circle boundary.
Usually, these flags are for training pets to the point they understand the link between the collar signals and the boundaries of the permitted area. Invest as much time as needed by your dog to see how they react to their collar’s notifications. Adjust correction levels as needed. You don’t want them to be too strong to unsettle the pets, but neither too light for them not to notice the signals.
Install the Signal Transmitter
- 【5.8GHz Band】Adopting 5.8GHz to give a super fast data transmission.The transmitter and the receiver are used in the...
- 【Strong Anti-Interference】24 channels enable this wireless av sender to avoid interference from other signals. Makes...
- 【Easy To Use 】If you want to watch DVD, DVR, IPTV, satellite STB in different TVs, but do not want to use the long...
You don’t want to mount the transmitter onto the wall until you have confirmed the radius is ideal and the signal is strong. Now that the flags are planted, attach the transmitter using adhesive strips, glue, or screws, as long as it can be plugged into the outlet to remain upright. Nothing should ever be placed on top of the transmitter. Lastly, make sure the ventilation openings are clear.
There you have it, a simple guide to how to install a wireless dog fence like a pro. If you have already installed a wireless pet fence, share your experience with our readers in the comments below!
Last update on 2021-07-27 at 14:01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API