A good portable electric fence for dogs is easy to carry, quick to set up, and durable enough to withstand the punishment of travel. These features and others were taken into consideration when compiling our top eight list of the best products. Whether you’re camping or going to the park, it’s important to keep your dog safe. A wireless electric fence can help them steer clear of harm while still having fun. With so many available, it can be tough finding one that’ll work best.
8. FunAce Wireless Pet Containment System
- REVOLUTIONARY - Patented compact wifi radio transmitter (NOT RECHARGEABLE) and receiver collar (RECHARGEABLE) - our...
- EXTREMELY EASY TO USE! Customized a cordless radial shaped boundary with adjustable levels 1-100 up to 500 feet in...
- UNMATCHED PERFORMANCE! Advanced rechargeable collar so you can stop buying new batteries, and we know that replacing...
The FunAce Wireless Pet Containment System is an ideal portable electric fence for dogs. It’s not only easy to transport, but it also covers a great amount of area. It can transmit 500ft in every direction, giving your dogs more than enough room to run off energy no matter where you are at.
For your dogs to enjoy themselves even more, the shock collar is waterproof. As a result, your pets can safely play in sprinklers, wet grass, and more.
Ideal for: Multiple dogs, large space.
- Waterproof shock collar
- Transmitter supports an unlimited number of collars
- Generous radius
- Collar life can be short
- Unpredictable shocks
7. Perimeter Technologies Wire-Free Wi-Fi Dog Fence
This portable electric fence for dogs has a quick and easy setup. Therefore, you can place a barrier which allows for 150ft in all directions in minutes. It’s less than 6in. tall as well. As a consequence, it’s simple enough to pack up and move to wherever you’re going.
To keep up with your pet, there are signal chips installed that track them at all times so that you’ll have peace of mind. It works off of rechargeable batteries with the charger built into the transmitter for convenience.
Ideal for: 2-dog family.
- Setup is easy
- Tracks pet’s location accurately
- Simple installation process
- May give false alarms
- Batteries can lose their charge quickly
6. PetPi Wireless Dog Fence Containment Systems
The PetPi Wireless Dog Fence has a compact transmitter. Since this is a pleasantly light piece of hardware, there’s no struggle transporting it when you leave. Like other wireless fences, it works off of Wi-Fi connection so it can go wherever you can get coverage. It provides your dog with a 500m range, and in terms of the collar, it’s rechargeable. When the receiver is on standby, it’ll go into sleep mode to preserve battery life as well.
Ideal for: Multiple dog home, easy temperament.
- Compact and light in weight
- Rechargeable collar
- Wi-Fi connection
- The connection can get spotty
- Collars can turn inside out
5. Motorola Wireless Fence for Home or Travel
Your dogs can enjoy themselves in the rain or run through the sprinklers without the Motorola collar giving out thanks to its waterproof features. With an easy recharge capability, you can quickly pack this up to use as a containment system on a trip with the family.
There are numerous static correction levels to choose from as well as a warning to aid in the training process. Moreover, it has a back-lit LCD screen to help make things easier for you during it all.
Ideal for: Medium to large sized dogs, 2-dog home.
- Good waterproof abilities
- Variety of static correction levels
- Owners can use this system on 2 dogs at the same time
- Dogs can escape through dead spots
- Doesn’t have a long battery life
4. PetSafe Pawz Away Pet Barriers
If you are looking for a portable electric fence for dogs that doesn’t stick out, then try out the PetSafe Pawz Away. Designed to resemble a rock, it can blend into an outdoor environment with ease. It can perhaps be best used out during camping or long stays at the park.
On top of that, the transmitter is waterproof as well. Therefore, there is little concern about the outdoor conditions damaging it. However, this product doesn’t boast a large range control as it only covers about 8ft radius.
Ideal for: Single-pet home, small to medium sized dogs, small coverage area.
- Easily blends in any outdoor environment
- Transmitter is waterproof
- Utilizes progressive static correction
- Not the greatest range
- May work intermittently
3. PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence
If you have more than a few pets you need to keep safe, this system has an unlimited amount you can add. There are five levels of correction in addition to the training mode. Therefore, correcting your pet’s behavior should be a matter of several hours. Setting it up takes next to no time. Thanks to its compact size, it is not difficult to take it anywhere from an RV or even to a friend’s home.
Ideal for: Multiple pets/sizes/breeds.
- Good compact size
- Can add unlimited pets to system
- This system can focus on multiple dogs at a time
- Little consistency in boundaries
- Collars have different sensitivities
2. Maxtronic Portable Wireless 2 Dog Fence
- Create a safe outdoor area for your pets without a physical fence.
- Adjust your pet's boundary from 3 to 800 feet in all directions from the indoor transmitter.
- Updated Collar, More Save Power, Receiver Collar is Rechargeable and Water Resistant with Low Battery Indicator.
The Maxtronic Portable Dog Fence has a built-in battery transmitter. As a result, you do not have to worry about it failing in case of a power failure. Such a feature is helpful if you’re primarily outdoors or happen to experience a storm. Recharging the batteries is simple and quick as well. To warn you in case of any issues, there’s an easy to read low-battery life indicator.
Ideal for: 2-dog home, pets with easy temperaments.
- Easy to adjust
- Recharging is simple
- Features a built-in battery transmitter
- Can lose signal easily
- Not water resistant
1. PetSafe Wireless Instant Fence
This PetSafe Wireless Instant Fence can add ½ an acre to keep your pet safely contained. It covers an adjustable circular area that can reach 90ft in all directions. This requires an outlet to work so it can be best used in areas like a vacation home or RVs. Using this system, you can curb the behavior of stubborn dogs; larger sized dogs can benefit from this the most.
Ideal for: Short-haired pets, multiple sizes.
- Good for stubborn dogs
- Area easy to adjust
- Even those dogs with a focus issue learned to listen to their collar warnings in no time
- Not the easiest setup instructions
How to Install a Portable Electric Fence for Dogs
When it comes to installing a portable electric fence for dogs, it does not take up nearly as much time as it does to install a traditional wired electric fence. Of course, each model may come with specific instructions that can change the setup time, but at the end of the day, it shouldn’t take more than a couple of hours at most to get it done.
The initial thing to do is figure out where to place the transmitter. In a vacation home, it is as simple as setting it up in your home. Place it high enough and away from metal so that the signal is not disrupted. If you are camping, be sure that it’s away from any metal structures like sheds. The transmitter should also be out of the way of your pet so it isn’t trampled.
Turn on the collar once you have figured out where to set it up. However, be sure to always stroll around the perimeter yourself before you put it on your pet to be sure it is working as intended.
You don’t want to keep your pet in the house all the time. Nonetheless, when you’re out vacationing, camping, etc., you still need to ensure their safety. A portable electric fence for dogs is an excellent tool that will keep your furry friend safe and comfortable. If you have already tested some of the fences we mentioned or if you’re using some we haven’t, let us know your opinion in the comments.